The Collection Process Balancing Customer Service and Compliance
Target Audience: CPAs, EAs, RTRPs
Field of Study: Taxation (NASBA); Federal Tax (IRS)
Seminar Level: Beginner
IRS COMMUNICATIONS AND LIAISON IS REGISTERED WITH THE NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF STATE BOARDS OF ACCOUNTANCY (NASBA) AS A SPONSOR OF CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION ON THE NATIONAL REGISTRY OF CPE SPONSORS. STATE BOARDS OF ACCOUNTANCY HAVE FINAL AUTHORITY ON THE ACCEPTANCE OF INDIVIDUAL COURSES FOR CPE CREDIT. COMPLAINTS REGARDING REGISTERED SPONSORS MAY BE SUBMITTED TO THE NATIONAL REGISTRY OF CPE SPONSORS THROUGH ITS WEBSITE: WWW.LEARNINGMARKET.ORG.
DISCLAIMER: THIS SEMINAR WAS FILMED IN ORLANDO, FLORIDA, ON July 29, 2010, AND THE INFORMATION WAS CORRECT AT THE TIME OF RECORDING.
The Small Business/Self-Employed operating division delivered this seminar at the IRS Nationwide Tax Forum in Orlando, Florida, in July 2010.
This seminar will explore the IRS collection process focusing on basic Collection practices and initiatives. The session will highlight IRS efforts to improve service so that voluntary compliance is easier and to enforce the law to ensure all taxpayers meet their obligation to pay taxes. IRS speakers will discuss the expectation to work through each case in a timely manner and address how using the appropriate actions and tools helps the IRS better serve the public.
By the end of this presentation you will:
- understand the three basic goals of the IRS collection process.
- know how the IRS is adjusting its collection process to respond to the taxpayer's economic needs.
- understand the installment agreement process.
- understand how and when an Offer in Compromise may be considered.
- understand how the IRS is considering economic needs in the Federal Tax Lien process.
- understand how to counsel your clients on employment taxes.
No prerequisites or advanced preparation are required for this seminar.