What's New for Return Preparers
Target Audience: CPAs
Field of Study: Taxation (NASBA)
Seminar Level: Beginner
THIS SEMINAR IS NOT AN APPROVED CONTINUING EDUCATION COURSE BY THE IRS RETURN PREPARER OFFICE.
DISCLAIMER: THIS SEMINAR WAS FILMED IN ORLANDO, FLORIDA, ON July 27, 2010, AND THE INFORMATION WAS CORRECT AT THE TIME OF RECORDING.
The IRS Return Preparer Office delivered this seminar at the IRS Nationwide Tax Forum in Orlando, Florida, in July 2010.
In January 2010, the IRS announced multiple proposals to increase oversight of federal tax return preparers. Attend this session to find out how you will be affected and what steps you need to take before next filing season. This presentation will address registration, preparer tax identification numbers, user fees, competency testing, continuing education, and more. In addition, learn about the new legislative mandate requiring certain return preparers to file returns electronically beginning in 2011.
By the end of this presentation you will:
- understand the new Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN) requirements.
- understand how tax compliance checks will be used as a determining factor for issuing PTINs.
- know who will be required to take the competency test to become an IRS Registered Tax Return Preparer.
- understand the annual CPE requirements for return preparers.
- understand the e-file mandate.
No prerequisites or advanced preparation are required for this seminar.